Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

My attempt at winter landscapes...

On Saturday the two little ones were sleeping so  I picked up a coffee and some timbits and went for a drive with Charlie.

Feb. 2011









p.s. taking landscape pictures in the winter is WAY harder then I thought it would be. Lots of my pictures were blown out by all the light. Hmmm. Actually, only the pictures I took with my 50mm f/1.9 prime lens were blown out. (I have zero understanding of what the numbers on a lens mean...or what words like telephoto and wide angle are all about. If any one cares to explain in layman's terms that would be great) Maybe I needed to change the ISO number? (and again, don't ask me what "ISO" stands for, I just know it was something to do with how much light is allowed into the lens. I think) I think a few photography classes are in order. I have my eye on some quick easy classes at Henrys. : )

6 comments:

  1. I want to take some classes too! Here's a little tutorial that might help you.
    http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/photography-tutorial-a-quick-guide-to-understanding-your-digital-slr-camera.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh let me know if you do end up looking into classes! i totally could use one :)
    also, i absolutely love the row of trees... its very serene and beautiful!
    good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. your ISO might have made a difference depending on what kind of light you were using (as in, if its dusk your ISO should be higher, and noon it's probably gonna be middle-to-low)... but if you weren't using a manual setting it probably set it to the camera's guess of what the ISO should have been, which is actually a pretty good way of learning what settings to use when you set it all up yourself... do you know what ISO you were using for most of the images?

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEah Jord your right, I bet I turned it up when I was using the kit lens and then when I changed my lens I never changed it. Its all so clear to me now :)
    Im going to take four classes over the span of this year at henrys in brantford. Its 80 bucks a pop, three hours each. But taking the "real" deal at mohawk is not going to happen until my little people grow up. So this will get me started. Thanks for writing!
    p.s. Jord, do you know where that row of trees is? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice kate...good pictures..i know what you mean, lighting is so bright in the winter wonderland...but these turned out great...you may need to underexpose a bit..so close the aperture down incrementally until you get the desired look..higher iso means more noise or grain in your pics, so keep it low and only pump it up when you run out of aperture(lowest number) and only go up by 200 at a time...I use the "sunny 16 rule" means daytime(between 10am and 3pm) set camera using av mode to f16 (the camera will pick the shutter speed).....then take the aperture down 1 stop at a time until you get the right exposure...make sense? jo's suggestion is good...use your auto settings to see what it picks, it gives you a good idea of what will work and then you can be creative from there....

    ReplyDelete